Nestled on the scenic western coast of Ireland, the Cliffs of Moher stand as an awe-inspiring natural wonder that beckons visitors from across the globe. If you find yourself in the vibrant city of Galway and wish to embark on an unforgettable journey to this iconic destination, this article will guide you on the best ways to reach this famous location in County Clare. Perhaps, you could come all the way from Dublin, and then decide to get to Cliffs of Moher from Galway.
Option 1: Self-Drive
Embarking on a self-drive adventure from Galway to the Cliffs of Moher allows you to enjoy the freedom of exploring at your own pace. The distance between Galway and the Cliffs is approximately 80 kilometers, with a travel time of around 1.5 hours.
- Rent a Car: Galway offers several car rental services, both in the city center and at Galway Airport. It is advisable to book your vehicle in advance to ensure availability.
- Route: Departing from Galway, follow the N67 road, which will take you through charming coastal villages such as Kinvara and Ballyvaughan. Continue south until you reach the Cliffs of Moher Visitor Centre, where you can explore the cliffs and enjoy breathtaking views.
- Scenic Stops: Along the way, consider making additional stops to explore attractions like Dunguaire Castle, Aillwee Cave, or the picturesque village of Doolin, renowned for its traditional Irish music.
- By the way, there options for cheap parking at the location if you decide to get to the Cliffs of Moher from Galway by car.
Option 2: Guided Tour
If you prefer a hassle-free experience and wish to gain deeper insights into the history and natural wonders of the area, joining a guided tour from Galway to the Cliffs of Moher is an excellent choice.
- Choose a Tour Operator: Galway is home to numerous tour operators that offer day trips to the Cliffs of Moher. Research different companies to find one that suits your preferences and budget.
- Itinerary and Inclusions: Take time to review the tour itineraries, ensuring they align with your desired experience. Many tours include stops at scenic locations like the Burren region, Poulnabrone Dolmen, or the charming village of Doolin.
- Departure and Return: Most guided tours depart from Galway city center in the morning and return in the evening. Check the duration of the tour and any additional activities or attractions included.
Option 3: Public Transportation
Galway benefits from an efficient public transportation system, making it convenient to reach the Cliffs of Moher via buses.
- Bus: Bus Éireann operates regular services from Galway to the Cliffs of Moher Visitor Centre. Buses depart from Galway Bus Station, and the journey takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on traffic and stops.
- Timetables and Tickets: Check the Bus Éireann website for the most up-to-date bus schedules and ticket prices. It is advisable to book your tickets in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons.
- Local Tours: Alternatively, you can join a local tour from Galway that includes transportation to the Cliffs of Moher. These tours often provide additional commentary and stops at scenic viewpoints along the way.